What Should My Indoor Humidity Level Be?
What Should My Indoor Humidity Level Be?
What The HVAC Experts Have To Say
Maintain Ideal Humidity Levels In Your
Westchester County Home
Indoor humidity in your home can have a significant impact on your air quality and health. Air purification companies often recommend that a home’s humidity level should be maintained between 30 and 50 percent.
This level of relative humidity (RH) will help to reduce the growth of mold and dust mites, as well as help control odors. Additionally, it will be more comfortable for you and your family to live in.
What’s An Acceptable Humidity Level At Home
Ideally, indoor humidity should be between 30 and 50 percent, depending on the season. Too much humidity can cause:
- An uncomfortable feeling
- Mold growth
- Condensation on windows and toilet tanks
- Rotting of home’s materials, including flooring and structural elements
Too little humidity can result in:
- Dry skin
- Sinus issues
- Increased static electricity
- Wallpaper peeling away from walls
- Wood furniture and building materials shrinking, leading to warping or cracking
How To Determine How Much Moisture Is In The Air
If you want to measure the humidity level in your home, a hygrometer is the ideal tool to use. Here are some tips on how to best use it:
- Place the hygrometer in a living space away from bathrooms, kitchens, and other sources of moisture. Avoid placing it near doors or windows, as this can lead to skewed readings due to rain, sunlight, and other weather conditions.
- Purchase several moisture gauges like SEISSO’s Mini Digital Humidity Meters to get a good reading in the various areas of your house.
- Position them in different zones of your home, as humidity can vary, and spread them around your home. Basements, for example, tend to be more humid due to moisture seeping through their walls.
- Keep track of the readings. If the levels exceed 50 percent or drop below 30 percent, follow the solutions to get your humidity levels back in check.
These tips will help you measure and maintain ideal humidity levels in your home.
Upgrading To A New Air Conditioner Will Help Reduce
If your air conditioning unit is more than 10 years old, it may be time to start thinking about replacement. It’s not just about cooling the air in your home – older ACs may not be able to effectively remove humidity, leading to a sticky and uncomfortable indoor environment.
Investing in a new system can help you keep your home fresh and comfortable, by eliminating excess moisture. Plus, with a newer AC, you’ll benefit from improved efficiency and reliability.
Use Portable Dehumidifiers To Remove Moisture
In summer, when the humidity levels in your home exceed 50%, a portable dehumidifier can make the difference between muggy air and an enjoyable indoor environment. Not only do they help make any sticky area more comfortable, but they also reduce the risk of mold and mildew.
If the entire home is affected, consider adding a whole-house dehumidifier to the HVAC system, but make sure to get it professionally installed by an HVAC expert. This way, you can enjoy a pleasant indoor temperature and humidity level of 40–50%, ensuring you and your family stay comfortable all summer long.
Install A Bathroom Exhaust Vent To Reduce Humidity
Having a bathroom exhaust fan installed in your Westchester County home keeps humidity levels low and prevents mold growth. Make sure to keep the fan running while taking a shower or bath, as well as for 15 minutes after.
Keep Your Home Comfortable With The Right Humidity Level
With the right indoor air quality solutions, you can keep your home comfortable and free from excess humidity all year round.
Reach out to Innovative Air, Westchester County’s air quality specialists, to learn more about the right HVAC options for your home. From dehumidifiers and exhaust fans to AC installation and maintenance, we’ll help you keep your home comfortable and healthy.
Contact us today at (914) 855–1888 to schedule an appointment.
If you’re looking for a HVAC company that will give you all the time, attention and energy you deserve, contact Innovative Air today!